Hey fam! Happy Friday! I've been getting TONS of questions on Instagram lately regarding my workout routine, if I follow a guide/meal plan, etc... So I figured what better way to answer everyone than with a single blog post!
Also, sorry for lack of content on here. To be honest I have plenty of topics I want to cover, but sometimes I get overwhelmed when it comes to getting it out of my head and onto the keyboard (I can't be the only one, right?). But now that I'm mostly finished applying to grad school, I'm going to devote more of my time to my blog and posting quality content on Instagram. Thanks for bearing with me, I appreciate y'all .
Now onto the good stuff. As many of you probably know, in January I started a guide by my friend Paola Marquez called the Strong and Sexy Body Method (abbreviated SSBM or S2BM). It's a 12 week program that focuses on lifting and increasing weights, but includes plenty of cardio and at-home variations as well. I completed one round of the guide at the beginning of the year and saw amazing results. The workout split is as follows:
Monday: Biceps + Triceps + Abs; Tuesday: Full body circuit training; Wednesday: Legs + Cardio; Thursday: Full body circuit training; Friday: Shoulders + Abs; Saturday: Cardio; Sunday: Rest
Monday: Biceps + Triceps + Abs; Tuesday: LISS cardio; Wednesday: Legs; Thursday: Full body circuit training; Friday: Shoulders + Back; Saturday: LISS cardio; Sunday: Rest
WEEKS 9-12 (increase in number of sets)
Monday: Biceps + Triceps + Abs; Tuesday: LISS cardio; Wednesday: Legs; Thursday: Full body circuit training; Friday: Shoulders + Abs; Saturday: HIIT cardio; Sunday: Rest
Now, I still follow the general guidelines of Paola's guide, but here's what I've found works for me and the changes I've made since I completed it the first time.
- Increased weight from the recommended. Your muscles should feel like you can't do more, but you still are able to push through... If that makes any sense. The weight recommendations are just that - if you feel you need to go lighter/heavier, DO IT.
- Added a second leg day. I still do leg day from the SSBM guide, which are typically higher reps and lower weight. I added a second leg day in which I focus on lifting heavier weights, fewer reps, and more of the basic exercises (squats, deadlifts, leg press, etc.).
- Added 2 HIIT sessions a week. These include workouts that I make up as well as workouts from Paola's HIIT guide that she just released!
- Increased number of back and chest exercises
KEEP IN MIND: These changes are not necessary. I saw INCREDIBLE results the first time I completed the guide and followed it to a T. These changes are based on my personal goals and my desire to increase muscle mass and continue leaning out.
As for MEALS, I have been counting macros since January. You can read more about what that means here, but essentially its tracking food by protein, carbs, and fat. It has worked wonders for me, but is not necessary and quite frankly is not a lifestyle that suits everyone. If you're interested, it's definitely worth researching. Paola also calculates my macros and has macro consultations available on her website at extremely reasonable prices.
Below I will give you an outline of my routine day-by-day. I will also post links to where you can find all of the guides/meal plan that I follow. As always, you have any questions, feel free to reach out :)
MONDAY: Arms + Abs
TUESDAY: Back + 30-35 min LISS cardio
WEDNESDAY: Legs (lighter weight, higher rep)
THURSDAY: Full Body Circuit or 10-20 min HIIT
FRIDAY: Shoulders + Chest + Abs
SATURDAY: Legs (heavier weight, lower rep) + 10-20 min HIIT cardio
There ya have it, folks. Please remember, I am not a personal trainer and I am not trying to advise anyone to exercise a certain way. I just want to share with you what has worked for me and my body. Everyone is different and that is a beautiful thing.
Here are links to all of Paola's resources that I utilize :)
- Strong and Sexy Body Method [12 week workout guide]
- Strong and Sexy Body Method Plus [12 week workout guide + macros consultation]
- Macros consultation with Paola
- Meal plan **JUST RELEASED** [Amazing resource especially for newbie's to macros]